Monday, April 4, 2011

Still Alive

I've kinda been in a slump the last two weeks, so blogging has been non-existant. I'm back and still un-employed. I've been helping my Dad with preparing our house for the demolition of our kitchen, a scary glass-roofed, rotting room that freezes in winter, leaks when it rains, howls when the wind blows and turns into a greenhouse in the summer. By the end of April it will be all gone and building of the new kitchen will commence. I'm very excited for the new kitchen, in particular the lino floor as I'm sick of getting splinters from the weet-bix board floor.

It looks like I'm going to take a course or two at Uni next trimester but first I have to make sure I can get in. This means taking some papers at high school if they'll let me to get University Entrance. My other option is to take a course of preparation at Victoria University. I have some decisions to make, and I have to make them soon.

To bring things back on a lighter note, I've started lifting small weights after being inspired by a visit to Corey's house last week and watching him and Treble lift more than I possibly could. If I don't start working on this, Treble will be able to break out of my death-grip.

Today I gave making a Mee Goreng a go and it turned out quite well, I took photo's of the process so if you folks at home want you can make one too.

These were all the ingredients I used: Noodles, Bean Curd (Deep fried tofu), Fish cake, bean sprouts, onions, eggs, lemon (Wouldn't recomend the lemon), Oil (Ghee is probably better), Soy Sauce, Tomato Sauce (I'd recomend a spicier sauce than watties, or at least find something less sweet), chilli powder and Tumeric powder.

I put the noodles on to cook with some oil and salt, this was only because I used dried pasta but if you have fresh noodles than this step should be skipped.

Next I prepared all the other ingredients, sliced the onions roughly, sliced the fish cake and bean curd into edible pieces, lightly beat the eggs, and just got the bean sprouts out of the bag.

I started on the sauce paste, I had less chilli than the 2 tbsp's I needed so I added some chilli flakes.

Next I added 1 tbsp of tumeric, 1 tbsp of soy sauce and 3 tbsp's of tomato sauce. After mixing that up I added 1 tbsp of water.

The noodles are done so it's time to start frying.

After waiting 'till the the wok was "Smoking hot" I added 4 tbsp's of oil and then the onions. I love the smell of frying onions.

Next I added the sauce paste and let it reduce and thicken.

Next I added the noodles and coated them in the sauce and let the fry for a while.

I added the sprouts, bean curd and fish cake, I let those fry while tossing them around getting it all well mixed.

I pushed all the goreng (Fry) to oe side and poured the egg into the hole after added some more oil.

Cover the egg with the noodles and leave for about a minute to let the egg actually cook.

I tossed the whole mixture together, I broke up the egg and fried for about three more minutes.

I quickly ran outside and grabbed a sprig onion, chopped it up and sprinkled it on top. You may noticed I left out the lemon, that was because it tasted kinda bad. Don't add lemon juice. Just don't. In the end it was quite tasty but the spices weren't right and watties sauce gave it a sweet taste that really wasn't right.

Amateur chef, out!


  1. It looks quite tasty to me also. Also also, my hedroom has a big glass sliding door to the balcony and has a weet-bix floor, basically the same problems as your kitchen. I can see why you'd want it demolished, because my bedroom's hellishly hot in summer and freezing in winter, and I have to sleep in it. Getting out of bed when it is really cold is one of the hardest things anyone can do on a daily basis.